What is English Bridge Teachers Association?
English Bridge Teachers Association (EBTA) promotes and supports effective teaching of bridge. Its aims are to attain the highest standard of bridge teaching across England, professionalise the teaching of bridge; in order to maximise the number of bridge players. These aims are achieved through EBTA membership and the provision, to its members, of information, advice and training related to all aspects of bridge teaching.
Who can join?
Membership is open to all, whether you are an established teacher or newly interested in teaching. Initially, you will join as an Associate member, gaining access to the wide range of membership benefits.
How do I join?
English Bridge Education & Development CIO
Broadfields, Bicester Road
Aylesbury HP19 8AZ
Tel: 01296 317217
How much does my EBTA Membership cost?
The current cost of membership is £25.00
Progressing through the Ranks
Anyone who is a paid-up member of EBTA is described as an Associate Member. One year’s free Associate Membership is also given following attendance on one of our Club Teacher training courses. Attending this course will give you a strong base to grow your teaching skills plus a structured approach to delivering a Bridge for All program to your students, and means that you will show as "EBED Trained" on our Teachers Directory, giving you a stronger appeal to students finding a teacher through our website.
A Full Member of EBTA will have gone through an assessment process, for which there is currently no charge. The assessment includes an observation of your teaching by one of our EBTA Professional Members, a basic test of bridge knowledge and other requirements. Once completed you will be able to use the title, Qualified Bridge Teacher.
The detailed procedure for becoming a Full Member is explained here.
To become a Professional Member of EBTA, teachers must show satisfactory performance in a number of key areas, amongst which are ongoing support for their students, a commitment to help less experienced bridge teachers and, most importantly, communication skills. The assessment process includes a six-month Personal Development Log, which helps us to assess whether the criteria have been met consistently over a period of time.
More details on the process of obtaining Professional Membership can be found here.
EBTA members can take advantage of a range of services and all sorts of special offers and discounts, including:
- Discount on Bridge for All materials - If you sell 4/5 books to your students every year, you can recover your EBTA membership fee
- Bridge for All Book One £19 full price £26
- Bridge for All Book Two £19 full price £26
- Fast Track £22 full price £30
- Practice Book One and Practice Book Two £9.99 full price £12.99
- System Summary Card £2 full price £2.50
- Access to Online Teachers Zone Materials – Did you know in the Teacher Zone there is a huge amount of support material you can access and use with your students?
- Free Professional Indemnity Insurance – Professional indemnity insurance costs on average £60-£80 every year
- Access to EBU Score
- Free 1-year membership of EBU for all your students
- Access to advice and support from EBED and EBU
- Free access to V-Blue and VuBridge learning area - via the Teacher Zone
- Free access to No Fear Bridge website and 6 weeks’ access for all your students
- Hand Generator Macro and HandPlay software - available in the Teacher Zone
- 2 editions of Accolade per year
- Access to EBTA Teachers’ Forum – via Teach Bridge section of EBED website
- Membership of EBTA Facebook group – search ‘EBTA’ via Facebook
- EBTA Teachers Conference invitation
- Your contact details held on the EBED Teacher directory – on completion of the EBED survey – https://app.easyquest.com/q/q9Q6Z
- Access to Full and Professional membership progression program
Accessing the Teacher Zone
Teachers who are EBU members should log onto their My EBU Page, and then choose 'Teacher Zone' from the 'utilities' menu. EBTA members who are not EBU members should contact Lisa Miller.