How to run a club duplicate– Delivered Online
For those who intend to start, or have just recently started, directing face-to-face duplicate bridge sessions at club level.
This course is delivered online as an alternative version* of our popular face-to-face introductory course for club TD’s.
By the end of the course the delegates will understand the role of the club TD in setting up and managing a club duplicate session. Specifically, the course aims are to:
• Give delegates an understanding of the role of the club TD in setting up and managing a club duplicate session.
• Build confidence for those who volunteer to help with the running of club duplicate pairs sessions.
• Gain awareness of Law Book and EBU guidance (Blue Book / white book)
• Understand and be able to choose the movement for a pairs session.
• Establish a base level of learning for those who plan to train to qualify as a TD by undertaking the remaining sessions of the EBED TD training programme
Participants do not need to be members of the English Bridge Union. They should have played duplicate bridge at club level; but no previous experience of directing is required.
The course is delivered in 2 remote online sessions using Zoom. There is extensive use of visual aids, exercises, group discussion and the chance for delegates to discuss situations they have encountered.
Session 1 approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours duration, including a break.
• Introductions, objectives, review agenda
• The role of the director
• What makes a good director?
• Common movements for duplicate pairs sessions (Howell, Mitchell, Mitchell share & relay, skip Mitchell etc)
• Exercises in selecting movements for different scenarios
Session 2 approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours duration, including a break.
• Awareness of Law Book, regulations (EBU Blue Book / white book) and club specific procedures. How are regulations modified for online bridge?
• Types of ruling & what powers does the TD have.
• Dealing with situations you may come across (including slow play, awarding artificial scores, using flow charts for simple book rulings, common mishaps, scoring issues, cutting the movement short)
• Questions / wrap up / Next steps for TD’s / where to go for more help, useful resources
Price £66 (£60 EBU members) – price includes attendance at both sessions.
Date and Time : see the EBED director training calendar for latest dates. Each of the 2 sessions is held on a different day. By making a booking a delegate is booked to attend both the sessions.
How to book: Using MyEBU, (log in to to My EBU account, select “book courses” from the Utility Menu). Or call or via Lisa , 01296 317217.
Once booked, delegates will receive and email containing a zoom link, and introductory material, approximately 7 days before the first session
*Note - course content has been modified slightly to suit online delivery, but remains true to the aims of the classroom based version of this course.
Feedback from recent delegates
I thought the style and delivery was good. You took ideas on board easily and were clear about the agenda. The content was spot on. You were friendly and considerate.
I thought Mark was a very impressive trainer, clear, confident and very thorough…..A very helpful and well constructed course, delivered very effectively, thank you
Mark was very well prepared, understanding and made you feel very comfortable. He dealt well with some of the more challenging participants. I thoroughly enjoyed the two sessions and feel very inspired.
The tutor was very good - patient, clear and encouraged people to contribute. The Zoom format worked well for this tuition - much more efficient than face to face.
Enjoyed the course. Thought Mark was very good. I thought the interactive component of how to plan a movement was very good
Overall a very enjoyable and worthwhile course, pleased to have had the opportunity to attend it. Thank you